Monday, January 19, 2015

A-10 Performing 11 Percent of Anti-ISIS Sorties

A-10 Performing 11 Percent of Anti-ISIS Sorties: The A-10 Warthog jet has performed 11 percent of US Air Force sorties against the Islamic State militant group, also known as ISIS, according to service figures.

That number was first mentioned by Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James during a Jan. 15 address, and confirmed by Air Force press affairs. The 11 percent figure refers to the total number of manned sorties launched by the US Air Force in Iraq and Syria against IS forces since operations began in August.

The Air Force has carried out around 60 percent of the 16,000 total strikes against IS forces. The remaining 40 percent has been carried out by the US Navy and allied nations.

During her speech, James stressed that while the A-10 is playing a crucial role, other aircraft are handling the bulk of the missions.

"There are a number of strike platforms, of course, that are engaged in it," she said. "[The] A-10 is one of it, but there's also F-16s, F-15s, and so forth. They're each contributing."

What's the total breakdown?

According to service figures, the F-16 fighter has been the most used aircraft, with 41 percent of sorties. That is followed by the F-15E at 37 percent, then the A-10 at 11 percent, the B-1 bomber at eight percent, and the F-22, which saw its first combat operation in the opening salvo against Is forces in Syria last Sept., at 3 percent.