Friday, August 21, 2015

First female Ranger grads share credit with classmates

First female Ranger grads share credit with classmates: The first women to earn the coveted Ranger Tab credited their classmates with helping them get through the famously punishing course. The soldiers, along with 88 others, will officially graduate from Ranger School on Friday during a ceremony on Victory Pond at Fort Benning.

"It's awesome to be part of the history of Ranger School in general, and graduating with these guys next to me, and the 90-plus other Ranger students will probably be the highlight of my life," said 1st Lt. Shaye Haver, an AH-64 Apache pilot with the 4th Infantry Division.

Haver, Capt. Kristen Griest and six of their classmates spoke to the media Thursday at the Georgia post.

"I'm just happy to be done with the course," said Griest, a military police officer. "I came here to be a better leader and improve myself, and I feel like I did that."The soldiers also were glad to be done with the course, which is known for pushing students through tough conditions on minimal sleep and food.

The women were part of the Army's gender-integrated assessment of Ranger School.